SVG is not MathML (was: SVGWG SVG-in-HTML proposal (ISSUE-41, ISSUE-37))

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:22:21 -0400
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Hi, Folks-

Henri Sivonen wrote (on 7/30/08 7:04 AM):

> One would think that asking them to expand what for MathML is an
> existing feature in Firefox would be easier than asking them to deal
> with the complexity of the SVG WG's parsing proposal.

In several messages, some people are quick to equate MathML with the
proposal for SVG-in-HTML.

Though they may be related topics, please don't conflate the two.  They
were developed by different groups, with different goals, design
principles, and content models.  They serve different needs, just as SVG
and HTML serve different needs.

This comparison seems to be made for purely rhetorical goals, not for
technical reasons.  They are separate issues, and we should keep them
separate, unless it is agreed that we are making a generalized
extensibility solution for XML-in-HTML.

(Note, the SVG WG does mention MathML in passing in our proposal, but
only in reference to a fallback mechanism, and only as a case in point.)

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF