Re: SVGWG SVG-in-HTML proposal (Was: ISSUE-41: Decentralized extensibility)

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:43:40 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

> However, the assumptions that namespace prefixes are bad and that handling
> errors in a fatal manner is bad are both assumptions that we have taken as
> fundamental in the HTML5 work since 2003, [...]

"We" ?  This WG did not exist in 2003.  I think you
must be referring to another group.

> If evidence to turn these assumptions around were indeed to come up, then
> this would have a massive effect on the HTML5 spec, and would probably put
> us back at least 6 months so that we could reengineer the spec to be
> designed with the new principles in mind.

Which would be no bad thing.  Far better to delay
by six months than to rush to release something
that is fundamentally flawed.

> In cases where there is no consensus, we need to pick a choice and go
> with it,

How does can you reconcile this statement with the fact
that this WG is a pat of the W3C, one of whose core values is
the importance of consensus [1] ?

Philip TAYLOR
--------
[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies#Consensus