Re: Workers

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:06:41 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>, public-html@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> (why it is "window" btw?)
>
> Because it is implemented by the Window object.

I don't think this is true. Our DOM implementation (which includes the
Window object) is not thread safe. We are using a separate object as the
global scope for the worker threads.

> For legacy reasons the
> global object is generally called 'window'.  To allow easy porting of code
> to workers, we have kept the same names.

I actually found it intensely confusing that it is called Window* since
it is a separate object from the Window object.

I think the name WorkerGlobalScope or some such would be much more
intuitive.

/ Jonas