Re: Doctype on text/html Pages (Was: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:16:41 +0200
To: Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
CC: public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>

Robert J Burns wrote:
 > I guess you're right about that. We do require namespace processing
to process HTML5. However, that gets away from the thrust of the message
anyway. The point is that even if we allow the doctype to be omitted
(even though XML requires it) should we even be discussing the option ...

I'm not aware of XML requiring doctypes, except for DTD validity checks.
There are lots of vocabularies that work well without.

BR, Julian