Re: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart

On 20 Jul 2008, at 13:51, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>>
>>> Care to elaborate?  The HTML5 validator only reports a couple of
>>> errors that are all related to the incorrect use of composing
>>> characters and not being in NFC.  This is clearly just a result of
>>> the script I'm using to generate the file not doing anything
>>> special with those particular character references yet.  But I
>>> would hardly call that not trying to be valid.
>> How about starting the document with <html>, for instance?
>
> I just realized that it says it is HTML5, so this is probably
> intentional.

It can be omitted under HTML 4.01, too. The only things that make the
document non-conforming at the moment are the DOCTYPE, the changes to
meta, and the changes to style.

> Not sure whether it's a good idea to use HTML5 for things that
> aren't really experimental...

I guess part of the problem is that HTML 5 adds new entities (the
MathML ones), which would make it impossible to have as a conforming
HTML 4.01 file. I assume you intend to add the MathML ones to the
document, Lachlan?

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>