Re: websocket HTTP response parsing

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:

> In this case I would advise to have that handshake *after* the websocket
> connection has been established (so in the case where this actually goes
> through a real HTTP server, *after* the 101 is returned). Keep in mind
> that there are other things that could go wrong, such as the server
> returning the headers "Upgrade:" or "Connection:" in a different order,
> or interleaving them with other headers (such as "Date:").

We can't. If the handshake occurs after the first byte sent over the
connection, it would be far too easy for someone to smuggle in a fake
handshake.

Furthermore, one of our core requirements is the ability to implement a
Web Socket Protocol server without any HTTP server involvement, and so we
can't build this on HTTP.