Re: Why Microsoft's authoritative=true won't work and is a bad idea

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 15:32:02 +0200
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

I am wondering whether we can't actually get closer to the current
specification.  Does anyone know the answer to the following?

* if a document is delivered without a content-type header, do the
browsers effectively sniff the document type?
* can Apache be fixed not to give a content-type header if, in fact,
it doesn't know it?

If the answer is yes to both, we may be able to ameliorate the
position by getting closer to having the presence of content-type
give the "I mean it" indication...

An alternative might be to add a header "look, I guessed it" when
Apache adds a 'guessed' text/plain as the content-type, and say that
browsers might take text/plain+IGuessed as something to sniff.  This
is like the proposed Microsoft header but the other way up...
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime