Re: Why Microsoft's authoritative=true won't work and is a bad idea

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:39:59 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, e_lawrence@hotmail.com

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Dave Singer wrote:
>> Next up:  a server that always adds the "I mean it" attribute, even when
>> it doesn't, and the subsequent invention of the "No, really, come on,
>> you have to believe me, scout's honor, I really truly mean it"
>> extension.
>
> This is exactly why this won't work. Sites will use this correctly, then
> someone will set some default somewhere incorrectly, or copy and paste a
> correct site somehow, or misunderstand a tutorial or something, and deploy
> it without testing in IE8. And it will work fine in all the browsers

Well, only if the other UAs do not adopt the proposal.

I'm not saying they should (yet), but why wouldn't it work if all UAs
did the same thing here?

> except IE8, an then IE8 will be patched to make this attribute trigger a
> slightly different (and smaller) set of content-sniffing instead... except
> that the set won't be quite what was intended, because there will be some
> bug, and then there will be sites that DO test with this patched IE8, but
> end up relying on this slightly different content sniffing...
>
> ...and ten years from now we'll have four different content sniffing modes
> with four different ways of triggering it and the next generation will
> look back at 2008 and wonder what we were thinking.
>

> The way out of this mess is containment. We define a strict set of
> Content-Type sniffing rules that are required to render the Web, and we
> get the browsers to converge on only sniffing for those.

So you can get the browser vendors to converge on a precise set of
sniffing rules, but you can't get them to agree on an opt-out?

Sounds inconsistent to me.

BR, Julian