Re: Microsoft's "I mean it" content-type parameter

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 18:17:18 +0200
To: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
CC: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>, "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>, Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Dave Singer wrote:
>>> Also, it might it be invoked by servers which report *no* Content-Type?
>>
>> Well, that's totally ok. Servers that do not know the Content-Type of
>> a resource should not guess, which in turn allows the recipient to sniff.
>
> but, as far as I can tell, there is no "unknown" content-type, is there?

The way to signal "unknown" is not to send a Content-Type header at all.
As far as I understand, this is what happens with httpd trunk when you
set the DefaultType to "none".

BR, Julian