Re: Underline element.

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:30:12 +0100, DESCHAMPS Stephane ROSI/SI CLIENT
<stephane.deschamps@orange-ftgroup.com> wrote:

> [...]

Actually, we have CSS for generic italics... but...

> For example I'm often using foreign-language locutions, and since I'm
> trying to avoid <i>, I've come used to using <span class="locution"...

Right.

> So, either we have tags for every kind of semantic-oriented use of <i>,
> which I seriously doubt, or we have to keep it for a long, very long
> time.

Indeed. we actually have several elements that default to italics. <i> has
almost the same lack of semantics as span and should be recognised as a
similar general-purpose container with no real semantics associated. But
it is useful in the case of some semantic where italics is a common
representation, since it does actually allow semantics to be added by
RDFa, µformats, GRDDL, or similar methods - and for authors who aren't
very interested in providing clear semantics for their documents beyond a
bit of presentational highlighting it does the job at no loss to the user
(if the author wasn't going to provide anything and take the shortest path
to making it "look right", you didn't lose anything by ending up with a
semantically poor document).

I am not a fan of the i, u and b elements, but they have use cases and
they are in use on the web already, both publicly and in extensive and
well-structured intranets. I think they should be kept, as semantic-free
containers, with appropriate recomendations about how to use them
(sparingly, where there is no more appropriate element, with semantics
attached...)

cheers

Chaals