Re: Why authors are using Transitional (and target="_blank")

On Feb 18, 2008, at 15:29, Ben 'Cerbera' Millard wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> When the easily detectable way of doing something that you don't
>> want authors to do but they want to do *anyway* is conforming and
>> supported by browsers by default, it is easier for you to take
>> counter-measures than it would be if the authors used something
>> less easy to detect and counter (such as window.open()).
>
> Consider this: all the top browsers start to ignore it by default.
> There is much rejoicing among users.

That's why I said "supported by browsers by default". Where
"supported" means opening in a new window.

> But then what? Authors will use another method. They are paid to
> achieve the effect clients and colleagues require of them, however
> misguided and however frequently research proves it so.

Yes, but authors in general only do what is needed to achieve the
client requirements when the browsers are set to defaults. It's not
cost-effective (or necessary from a client relationship point of view)
for authors to engage in an arms race with features that require an
affirmative opt-in from the user.

> The argument against new windows for normal navigation may be won
> long before HTML5 gets near to completion. The commonality of tabbed
> browsing has made it much easier, in my experience. So making
> target="_blank" non-conforming could be the right thing to do,
> ultimately.

Browsers may open "new windows" as new tabs instead.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi