Re: Emphasizing STRIKE

From: Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 04:34:07 +0100
To: "Ben 'Cerbera' Millard" <cerbera@projectcerbera.com>
CC: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>, "j.j." <moz@jeka.info>, gonchuki <gonchuki@gmail.com>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>

Ben 'Cerbera' Millard 08-02-06 20.10:
> If we make an element for creating a strikethrough effect conforming,
> I think we should:
>
> * Allow both <s> and <strike> equally. There is consistency and
> inconsistency with either name.
> * Define <s> and <strike> as aliases of each other.
> * Highlight the usefulness of <del> for common strikethrough cases in
> the authoring section/document.
>
> I am not sure if such an element should be conforming. <del> seems
> appropriate in all the cases I've seen, especially when no attributes
> are present. But this is not something I've studied in great detail.

1. STRIKE/S is «presentational» in the sense that it is intended for the
final version of the document.
2. DEL, even without attributes, tells another story: about editing.
3. It is convenient to be able to avoid mixing these to functions in the
one and same element. One should have _one_ element for marking up
edits, and another one for marking up structure and semantics in the
very text. It is difficult, in the same document, to sometimes use DEL
to represent author deleted sections, and in other places to use it to
represent text that should come through - in the final document - as
striked out.  That would be like assinging two different
purpososes/semantics to the same element. It would be better to separate
those two functions.
--
leif halvard silli