Re: Comparison of Smart Headers and HTML5 (ACTION-85)

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 20:51:29 +0000
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: Ben Millard <cerbera@projectcerbera.com>, Aaron M Leventhal <aleventh@us.ibm.com>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2008, at 01:51, Joshue O Connor wrote:
>
>> With a screen reader for example,
>> many use the OSM or virtual buffer and take a snapshot of the DOM
>> contents in order to update it when a page loads. This would have to be
>> updated fairly regularly if there are persistent content changes on a
>> page. With a screen reader like JAWS a user used to have to manually
>> update this buffer using the INSERT+ESC keys, but later versions of JAWS
>> now do this pretty much automatically.
>
> To what extent is this a JAWS/WindowsEyes thing and to what extent a
> general thing?

Yes, the above is a JAWS/Window eyes thing but in Ireland, the UK and
the US, JAWS has a very significant share of the market.I freely admit
that the degree that the quirks of particular AT should be supported is
moot, but we should  at the very least be aware of the peculiarities of
how they operate. Also the way they operate could also change over time.

Cheers

Josh