Re: Black-box equivalence of parsing fragments directly into context node

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> > Once mutation events are more stable, if we want them to fire for
> > these mutations, then we can add them back, with a clear definition of
> > how they work. That's dependent on what DOM3 Events ends up saying.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.platform/msg/ddb57992f7553346
> and
> http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.platform/msg/d36577d78c21372c
> indicate that mutation events need to fire upon fragment insertion.

I'd be happy to spec something different if you can detail exactly what I
should be speccing, as per:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Dec/0062.html

> I'm not trying to advocate even having the event. I'm just noting that I
> found a non-<script> place where scripts can execute as a synchronous
> side effect of the XML parse at least in Gecko, and the case is relevant
> to text/html parsing to the extent the two serializations are expected
> to have feature parity.

Does any other browser do this? I really think we need the SVG WG to
clarify this before continuing, as per:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Dec/0051.html

Then I can integrate it in the appropriate place in HTML5.

> > > (On its face, blowing away the document seems more complex than
> > > making document.write a no-op if called from an SVG onload handler.
> > > I need to study existing cases of blowing away the document more
> > > carefully.)
> >
> > Blowing away the document happens because document.open() is
> > implicitly called. It can always be explicitly called. I don't think
> > we want to be adding more ways that document.open() can react here.
>
> Ah. You've made Opera/IE7 behavior normative instead of the Gecko/WebKit
> behavior. (IE8 beta2 hangs when trying my test case:
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/moz/write-from-timeout2.html )

Yes. The Firefox behavior involved being able to insert text into the
stream half-way through a token being tokenised, e.g. in the middle of an
attribute, which seemed bad.

> Have I understood correctly that the insertion point can be defined only
> at moments when the parser executes a script upon </script> close tag?

It can also be defined when the Document had document.open() called on it
at some point (in which case generally it appends).