Re: HTML5 parser integrated in W3C Markup Validator

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Sam Ruby wrote:

> > Test with a "random" HTML5 page:
> > http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fintertwingly.net%2Fblog%2F
>
> Random, eh?  :-)
>
> The warning puzzles me.  I *think* that document is valid XHTML5, served with
> the MIME type that draft HTML5 standard suggests for such documents.
>
> http://html5.validator.nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fintertwingly.net%2Fblog%2F
>
> Perhaps Ian or Henri could confirm?

This warning is definitely wrong. The MIME type overrides the DOCTYPE as
far as parse mode goes, according to HTML5. "<!DOCTYPE HTML>" is a
well-formed XML DOCTYPE.

> Here's HTML5 served as text/html:
>
> http://rails.intertwingly.net/blog/index.html
>
> And it produces a different warning:
>
> http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Frails.intertwingly.net%2Fblog%2Findex.html&charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
>
> Which, again, is not produced by Henri's service:
>
> http://html5.validator.nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Frails.intertwingly.net%2Fblog%2Findex.html

As far as I can tell, the warning is wrong. However, I don't really
understand what it is warning about, so it's unclear.