Re: Acessibility of <audio> and <video>

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:08:31 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>, Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

 > Audio and video streams can expose vastly more data than just audio and
 > video tracks. So disabling video or audio does not necessarily mean the
 > elements are no longer useful.

OK, this part requires further thought on my part,
so I will not respond further here ...

 > Also, if the user agent supports <audio>
 > or <video> the contents of them will not be used, even if either is
 > disabled, solely due to the fact that the user agents supports the
 > elements.
 >
 > The specification is quite clear on this:
 >
 > http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#video

But this is a draft specification, subject to continual
improvement, and if the WG were to decide that this
behaviour is sub-optimal, then it would be perfectly
possible for a future draft (and, perhaps, the final
release) to specify that turning off audio and/or
video /should/ cause the contents of the corresponding
elements to be rendered.

Philip TAYLOR