Re: Acessibility of <audio> and <video>

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:51:50 +0200, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>
wrote:
> Well, if my browser supports JavaScript,
> and I leave it enabled, it will honour
> <script> elements and pass over <noscript>;
> if I turn off JavaScript, it will skip
> the <script> elements and honour <noscript>.

Well, that depends on whether it supports just JavaScript or multiple
languages. But yeah, in practice that's how it works.

> Why might it do something different if
> I turn off audio and/or video, w.r.t.
> <audio> and/or <video> elements ?

Audio and video streams can expose vastly more data than just audio and
video tracks. So disabling video or audio does not necessarily mean the
elements are no longer useful. Also, if the user agent supports <audio> or
<video> the contents of them will not be used, even if either is disabled,
solely due to the fact that the user agents supports the elements.

The specification is quite clear on this:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#video
   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#audio

--
Anne van Kesteren