Acessibility of <audio> and <video>

From: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:56:07 -0400
To: "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>

I have become very concerned over the last few weeks regarding the
accessibility issues in HTML 5. I think that it is great that so many people
are pushing hard for accessibility around images, which is of particular
benefit for vision impaired users. However, I fear that another group of
users is being ignored: hearing impaired users. I find it a bit strange that
we are spending a huge amount of energy around the img/@alt issue, but no
one has brought up something like @alt for the audio and video tags.

I am of the opinion that in the spirit of fairness and equality, any
decision made regarding @alt must also be applied, as appropriate, to image
and video elements as well.

The current draft, as I read it, does not support any type of @transcript or
@alt type of attribute on either of these tags, making them both
inaccessible to hearing impaired users, and video inaccessible to vision
impaired users as well.

J.Ja