RE: table headers - clear description of problem

From: Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:58:18 -0400
To: "'Robert J Burns'" <rob@robburns.com>, "'Laura Carlson'" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'Steven Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, <public-html@w3.org>, "'W3C WAI-XTECH'" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, <wai-liaison@w3.org>

>2) the precedence when a headers attribute idref conflicts with the
>scope attribute. In other words if the headers attribute references an
>element while the scope attribute indicates the cell corresponding to
>the element should not be associated, then the headers attribute
>should take precedence.
Sailesh:
The headers-id method is  a "specific identification"  method by which all
data cells are explicitly associated with all their corresponding header
cells. I think if headers-id method is used, then "scope" should not be
allowed for that particular data table. It will make it very difficult for
AT as well as complicate evaluation process. It will indeed make difficult
things almost impossible.

Sailesh Panchang
Accessibility Services Manager (Web and Software)
Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
Reston VA 20191
Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)