Re: Flickr and alt

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:25:11 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>, James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> [...]I was trying to point out that Flickr cannot start requiring
> users to <perform some task> as that will simply kill their
> business.

Exactly the same argument was adduced about requiring
public houses to require their customers to either
refrain from smoking completely, or to smoke outside.

The pubs /didn't/ go out of business, and most of their
customers came to accept that -- by following the rules --
they were improving the environment for everybody.

Philip TAYLOR