Re: Images and alternative text

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 23:20:02 +0100
To: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org

I really think we are beginning to lose the plot.
ALT text is /text/; nothing more, nothing less.
If we're planning to require authors to indicate
when they are using TeX markup (note : TeX, not
LaTeX; "\over" is deprecated in LaTeX because of
its highly idiosyncratic nature [1]) in ALT text, then
are we also going to require the same of them when
they choose to use TeX markup in a paragraph ?  Because
that is the slippery road on which we are now heading.
Can we please get back to reality, and concentrate
on /real/ issues of accessibility, rather than this
extraordinarily narrow focus that seems to have
taken over the entire mindset of the WG.

Philip TAYLOR
--------
[1] From L2Tabu (English version)

Avoid the \over command. \over is a TEX command
which due to the syntax differing from LATEXís
is even more complicated to parse or which
cannot be parsed at all. The amsmath.sty
package redefines \frac{}{} which will result
in error messages when using \over. Another
point in favour of using \frac{}{} is that it
is easier to fill in both the fractionís numerator
and denominator, especially with more complex
fractions.

Replace: $a \over b$ by $\frac{a}{b}$