Re: Images and alternative text

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:29:34 -0700
To: public-html@w3.org

At 21:26  +0100 8/08/08, Philip Taylor wrote:
>The use of special syntax in the attribute value inconveniences
>every tool that generates markup based on user input, even when they
>have no need for or interest in the feature which that syntax is for.

That's right, and we have to trade off whether that processing step
(if first-char of user-text is "{" then pre-pend something) is worth
it to get the feature we want -- really forcing people to think about
whether they truly lack alt text, and if so, getting them to indicate
why.

Personally, I think it worth it, because the gain for one segment of
the population (those needing alt text) is muh greater and more
important than the small pain for another (tool writers).  But I can
see you might differ.

The alternatives proposed included entirely new attributes, which are
also work for tool writers.

(and yes, I do realize that when I wrote alt="{latex} {x \over y} =
{1 \over {y \over x}}" that the rules would have to match the {s to
}s, and allow text after the first matched pair;  i should have said
so)
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime