Re: Speed of specs (was: RE: Extensibility strategies)

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:50:56 +0900
Cc: "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>
To: "Justin James" <j_james@mindspring.com>

Le 6 août 2008 à 14:32, Justin James a écrit :
> So yeah, I'd like it if we could have
> some sort of "HTML add-on" items that we could release in a
> finalized form
> on a regular basis, and get stuff like Web workers, <audio>,
> <video>, etc.
> in it so people can be working with a finalized spec that we promise
> we've
> really audited and plan on not changing before the full HTML 5 spec
> gets
> finalized, instead of them basically guessing what hopefully won't
> change
> and implementing and authoring against that.
>
> I also recognize that this is 99.99% not going to happen for a great
> number
> of reasons, our charter and expected deliverables, for one thing. :)

Not necessary completely silly. I'm not talking for the chairs nor W3C
here. Consider it a personal opinion.

But you can perfectly imagine that the HTML WG publishes a
specification (which is consistent and tested) with the things already
really implemented in let say "Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Opera,
Safari". The rest could be put either in an appendix or a W3C WG Note
reserving them for future works and publications.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/