Re: Reinitializing OBJECT and EMBED - data and type changes

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:49:48 -0500
To: "Michael A. Puls II" <shadow2531@gmail.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Michael A. Puls II wrote:
> What I was asking is, if you implemented a reinitialize() for OBJECT
> natively that did the clone, insert, remove deal just like I did,
> would you have any trouble making it so I wouldn't have to do:
> obj = obj.reinitialize()
> and instead could do just:
> obj.reinitialize();
> and still make 'obj' point to the new object?

Yeah, that wouldn't really work very easily, especially since the old object is
still around.

It's maybe _possible_ to do that, but it's not easy at all in Gecko, and I doubt
it's easy in other UAs.

Of course if we implemented reinitialize() internally, there would be no cloning
involved, I would think.

-Boris