Re: [whatwg] Feeedback on <dfn>, <abbr>, and other elements related to cross-references

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:57:36 +0100
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, public-html@w3.org

Smylers wrote:

> Well it's very close to being useless.  In that if browsers don't do
> anything with some mark-up, there's no point in having it (and indeed no
> incentive for authors to provide it).

Assistive technology is certainly a valid use case here.

> Yes, that is potentially ambiguous.  But it's the same in books,
> newspapers, and so on, where it turns out not to be much of a problem.

But books etc don't have any other way of providing
disambiguation/structure. Under that reasoning, you could argue that
there's no need for heading elements etc, as simply having text bigger
works fine in print, so all we need is a font sizing markup option.

> What in practice would you expect AT to do with this knowledge?
> Remember that most abbreviations that aren't being tagged with
> expansions won't be marked up, so AT is going to have to deal sensibly
> with that case anyway.

So you'd prefer hit and miss heuristics over unambiguous interpretation?

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/