Re: One more thought about requiring the alt to add to the pile

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:17:16 +0100
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, wai-liaison@w3.org

Steven Faulkner wrote:
> I am as yet unconvinced of the
> desirability of a required alt. [...]
>> One thing I am commited to  is exploring all view points, before
>> making a decision

That pretty much sums up how I feel at this point. FWIW I am also not
wedded to the idea though I have specific concerns which I have
mentioned previously. They are largely to do with how UAs (in particular
screen readers) will deal with images that do not have @alt values or a
alt="". It looks like older users will be stuck with crappy heuristics
but this is not to say newer UA cannot be designed to handle these
situations better.

Maybe @alt should be abandoned altogether, use of aria described by (or
similar) could be designed to cover many of these issues/edge cases that
have been discussed ad nauseum

Cheers

Josh