Re: Supporting MathML and SVG in text/html, and related topics

From: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:01:49 -0400
To: whatwg@whatwg.org, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org, www-svg@w3.org

"Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> writes:

>> As we all know, a clear boundary was drawn, presumably because it
>> was onerous for browsers to "sniff" incoming content and then decide
>> how to parse.
>
> Actually, it was not the browsers:
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Sep/0024.html

Oh, but that is about sniffing even if it's not explicitly stated.
And, at that time, there was not extant tag soup masquerading as xhtml.

> That's a very limited set of differences which mostly affect page layout.

Yes, but the point is, once a user agent begins to sniff, there's no
rational excuse for it not to recognize compliant xhtml+(mathml|svg).

>> What obstacles to this exist?
>
> The Web.

Really!?!

It's time for user agents to stop supporting bogus document preambles.

                                    -- Bill