Re: Supporting MathML and SVG in text/html, and related topics

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 02:01:09 +0000 (UTC)
To: Chris Chiasson <chris@chiasson.name>
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, jirka@kosek.cz, whatwg@whatwg.org, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org, www-svg@w3.org

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Chris Chiasson wrote:

> So, have the HTML 5 people already made up their minds, where the
> discussion that continues today has no chance of maintaining the XML
> serialization?

Nothing is yet set in stone for HTML5 [1].

The XHTML variant of HTML isn't going away, though. The HTML5 spec defines
both a text/html serialisation and an XHTML serialisation, as well as the
processing requirements and conformance requirements for both.

Does that answer your question?

([1] Well, sort-of nothing. As more and more of HTML5 gets implemented,
more and more of our constraint to not break backwards compatibility
marches forward to include stuff that several years ago counted as "new in
HTML5".)