Re: validity and other important things

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:34:42 +0200, Dave Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> At 7:57  -0400 11/04/08, David Poehlman wrote:
>> It's a reasonable approach but I'm not sure it should be designed into
>> spec.
>
> and as a point of principal here, it seems kinda backward.  On questions
> of validity, we would surely want the output of *automated* HTML
> production to be 100% valid, yet in some sense allow people to exercise
> their judgment.

Sure. It is reasonable to want everything, but it is not generally likely
to happen that we get everything we want. In which case we go about
engineering a solution that provides the optimal available outcome.

In that context, validity is not a holy grail - we first have to have some
understanding of what the purpose of validity is, beyond some feel-good
factor for developers.

[rest is reasonable stuff snipped because it has been repeated in other
threads on this subject]

cheers