Re: [html4all] New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:40:23 +0200
To: John Foliot <foliot@wats.ca>
CC: 'HTML4All' <list@html4all.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org, 'HTML WG' <public-html@w3.org>

John Foliot wrote:
> (Slightly trimmed list to reduce overload)
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> In general, requiring values for things that can't always be provided
>> is a bad idea. It always leads to authors making up values, which
>>   makes the situation *worse* for the people depending on it.
> You know, I've heard this opinion expressed numerous times, but have yet to
> see any evidence at all to substantiate this claim.  Please explain in
> normative and technical terms how this is "worse", else remove the claim
> from the discussion.
> Thank you.

Evidence, as in examples?

- HTTP servers sending a default content type for resources where the
content was unknown (extremely harmful)

- WebDAV servers returning the name of the system locale for the
DAV:getcontentlanguage property? Returning the last path segment as

Believe me, I've seen lots of bad values for things where implementors
thought that making something up is somehow better than not returning it
at all. And "img/@alt" certainly is part of that.

BR, Julian