Re: New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft)

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:20:58 -0500
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
CC: public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org

Steven Faulkner wrote:
> Two images without explicitly associated text alternatives.
> 1 is an image is decorative that the author has accidently left off
> the alt, the other is "critical content"

I agree that this is a problem.  But if both have alt="", you have the same
issue, with the additional problem that the UA can't really try to guess based
on image analysis (unless the UA just starts ignoring alt="" altogether).

The real question is how to maximally motivate authors and authoring tools to
add alt text whenever they can without forcing them to add incorrect (and alt=""
on a non-decorative image is incorrect) alt text.

It's a psychology question, not a technical one....  Have we considered finding
a psychology expert to ask?

-Boris