Re: rendering of control characters, was:: Supporting MathML and SVG in text/html, and related topics

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:47:29 +0100
To: hsivonen@iki.fi, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

I wrote

> HTML 5 appears to follow  XML 1.1 in  banning these control characters
> as character data

I see I was wrong there, and html5 defines

U+000B LINE TABULATION, U+000C FORM FEED (FF),

as space characters thus _does_ allow them as character data.

However I don't see anywhere any warning that these can't be serialised
in an XML 1.0 serialisation, nor advice on how they are supposed to be
rendered.

David