Re: [html4all] New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft)

From: Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:05:54 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: HTML4All <list@html4all.org>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, wai-xtech@w3.org, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:

 >> By "no value at all", do you mean (a) "no ALT attribute"
 >
 > Yes.
 >
 >> (in which case the answer is that my proposal is
 >> syntactically valid, assuming a mandate for ALT
 >
 > Well, if we insist on requiring the attribute, than not having the
 > attribute is invalid. Invalid is bad. This is why we are having this
 > discussion, aren't we?

Fine, so we agree, do we not ?  My proposal leads
to valid HTML, and the AT user will learn from the
ALT text supplied that no more meaningful ALT
text was available at the time that the page
was generated.  Not sure where we differ ...

** Phil.