Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:20:19 +0100
To: hsivonen@iki.fi
Cc: public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org

> <image>
>
> It's not valid in HTML, but existing content requires it to be magic
> in parsing.

Hmm we should probably take that up internally in the Math WG.

In MathML2 <image/> can (informally) be replaced by
<csymbol>image</image> and in MathML3 we're working on a formal
specified correspondence between these forms (for all MathML content
elements not just image), so it would be possible to add a note to the
MathML3 spec deprecating <image/> or warning not to use it in text/html
contexts (with no loss of functionality) if it's going to cause
problems. (Personal response, not a considered WG position)

David