Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

From: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 06:00:44 -0500
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com>, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> Say the trigger is <newsyntax>. Now assume someone writes:

> ...and that such a page works well in new browsers. Given how people copy
> and paste content on the Web, especially how people copy and paste _new_
> syntax on the Web, even before it is implemented, it is very likely that
> someone will copy just the "foo" part, accidentally including the
> <newsyntax> bit:

> This will now effectively "poison" the <newsyntax> idea, since the pages
> that result from this cargo-cult copy-and-paste attitude will render badly
> in browsers that support the new syntax.

Now I understand where you are coming from.  I don't think there's any way
to avoid the 'rendering badly' for all cases, I'm sorry.

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<video ...>
</video>

Now if somebody copies only part of this document into their own document
(and somehow gets the DOCTYPE right):

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<video ...>

Is there any browser that won't render the above 'badly'?

At least from a parsing perspective, this 'new processing mode' that Sam and
others have suggested (for lack of a better term, 'XML5' ?) should suck up
the character stream until it finds the matching closing tag.  If it _NEVER_
receives the closing tag, then it should reject the entire stream, passing
all the characters back to the HTML5 parser.

Regards,
Jeff