Re: "/>" (was Re: several messages about New Vocabularies in text/html

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:37:03 +0300
Cc: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>, Neil Soiffer <Neils@dessci.com>, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org
To: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>

On Apr 2, 2008, at 18:29, Bruce Miller wrote:
> A minor question:
> Is handling <whatevertag/> in HTML5 really a problem?

Yes. Consider the security implications of different browsers and
gatekeepers considering different things executable with <script/>.

> _Surely_, no one out there is writing HTML using <whatevertag/>
> when they _dont_ mean to close the element?!?!?!

Oh, there are people who *think* they are closing and element with
<whatevertag/>.

I think it is pretty safe to say that some of them end up relying on
the actual layout or form behavior they get when <whatevertag/>
doesn't close the element, but I don't have data to support this claim.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi