Re: Point of Extensibility

Hi, Julian-

Julian Reschke wrote (on 4/1/08 2:29 PM):

> Doug Schepers wrote:
>> This is the approach I've taken with the SVG proposal [1], which I've
>> extended to address MathML.  It could use more critique and more
>> details.  Everyone should feel free to pitch in.  Ian has said he'd
>> like to close this issue by Friday, so help from those conversant in
>> the parsing and
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Diagrams_in_HTML
>
> Thanks for the pointer / reminder.
>
> The <ext> proposal looks promising to me.
>
> Looking at:
>
> "The <ext> element could potentially be an implicit element, generated
> by the HTML5 parser on encountering a start tag of e.g. "<svg " or
> "<math "."
>
> How about stating that any element with an attribute "xmlns", being set
> to something different from "" or the XHTML namespace name, implies <ext>?
>
> That would make the approach generic.

I have no problem with that, but I'm not the one you have to convince.  :)

It might be useful to put that in the wiki.  But note that it would
likely be less useful to support generic XML if there's no clear way
that it should be supported (how it's presented, specific APIs, etc.).
SVG and MathML are both well-known solution sets.  We'd need to have a
default behavior for "unknown content".

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI