Re: Exploring new vocabularies for HTML

Ultimately, what does using the language 'required' mean anyway?  Are HTML5
user agents _required_ to support both serializations, for instance?  Some
browser vendors are still going to pick and choose the things they want to
support anyway... I get the impression that being a 'fully conformant' HTML5
user agent is not as important as meeting demands of the customers.

> We can encourage, but that's as far as we can go when it comes to
> things that aren't strictly required for interoperability.

But isn't this an interoperability problem?  Existing SVG editors do not
accept an HTMLized form of SVG.

Seems like if we require browsers to support some mechanism to obtain the
full DOM serialization of the document, then we've solved the concerns of
tools being able to read in the HTML-serialization of XML languages.  You
don't need to worry about xmlns attributes, strict casing, unquoted
attributes, closing elements in the HTML serialization - all this would be
covered by exporting the DOM (which is essentially the XML serialization).
As someone that wants to share SVG snippets across web documents, I would be
very happy with this, though it would take some education for the general
populace interested in doing some of these things.

This doesn't have to be a button, it can be in the context menu or under
View somewhere, for instance.

Jeff