Re: The only name for the xml serialisation of html5

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Again, please tell me that you are kidding me! What's the use of XHTML if we
>> > can't use it on the public web? I use it everyday.
> I meant with 'public web' the same as (I suppose) Charles meant with just 'Web', when he, in another thread, compared «comaptibility with XHTML2» with «compatibility with the Web» [3].
>
> You are serving pages as application/xhtml+xml every day for all UAs? Surely not. For compatibility with the Web, we have to serve XHTML as text/html - at least to some UAs. HTML 5 is meant to put an end to that hack.

Firstly *there is only one web*. Often referred to as the World Wide Web.
> You are serving pages as application/xhtml+xml every day for all UAs? Surely not.
No certainly not. You shouldn't assume :-) Check the source and mime
type of my companies webpages when sent to Internet Explorer and other
non conforming UA's. [1]

> For compatibility with the Web, we have to serve XHTML as text/html - at least to some UAs.
Arrrr..umm..., well, not really, when you attempt such a practise your
site becomes invalid HTML  [2]. I don't know why you would choose to do
this. Maybe stick with HTML4 strict for now until  HTML5 is released. If
you want to use XHTML on the web today, you will need to use a XML mime
type and  use content negotiation.

> HTML 5 is meant to put an end to that hack.
I don't quite know what you're getting at there. That's not what HTML5
is all about really. HTML5 is primarily HTML "text/html" and if you wish
to use this mime type at the moment you are most welcome to use it with
HTML4 strict. Perhaps you were referring to the fact that HTML5 exposes
how silly it is to send a "so called" XHTML document over the wire with
a "text/html" mime type whilst thinking it is valid XHTML, and makes it
quite clear that XHTML has a mime type of  "application/xhtml+xml" or
"application/xml". To use XHTML according to the HTML5 spec you simply
use a XML mime type(as above), the actual markup is identical for most
web pages.

[1] http://www.zealmedia.co.nz/
[2] http://webkit.org/blog/?p=68

--