Re: Question about mis-nested form controls and parsing

Ian Hickson wrote:
> This would be the first step down the slippery slope of making the tree
> construction stage in the parser generate DOMs that depend on attribute
> values rather than being exclusively based on tag names. This scares me,
> as it immediately precludes a significant possible set of optimisations.

Name one, please?

> Would it be possible to instead make the <input> elements remember their
> parse order and use that during submission?

Yes.  It would be a lot more work, and a lot more difficult to specify (since
the specification would need to include how this state is maintained when the
DOM changes, in particular).

It would also mean that form.elements order and submission order do not match.

I pretty much agree with what Henri Sivonen said about secret out-of-line data
as well.

-Boris