Re: Question about mis-nested form controls and parsing

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 02:36:40 +0000 (UTC)
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> What we are considering doing right now is allowing <input type="hidden"> (but
> not other kinds of inputs) to be direct children of TABLE, TBODY, and TR.

This would be the first step down the slippery slope of making the tree
construction stage in the parser generate DOMs that depend on attribute
values rather than being exclusively based on tag names. This scares me,
as it immediately precludes a significant possible set of optimisations.

> Thoughts?

Would it be possible to instead make the <input> elements remember their
parse order and use that during submission? (e.g. when doing the foster
parenting of a form control, look at whatever the last form control in the
form is at that point, associate it with the one being foster-parented,
and when doing submission, we go in tree order but then insert the
controls that have this flag after the ones they refer to (in tree order
if there are many with the same association, and if one is removed from
the list, we ignore the association).

If that would solve the problem, that seems more desirable to me (though
barely so). I really am reluctant to change the parser algorithm to be
attribute-value-dependent.