Re: headers= and rowgroup

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:53:27 +0200
To: "Leif Halvard Silli" <lhs@malform.no>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:39:50 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
wrote:
> Please quote. I don't see anything that can be interpreted like that.

I quoted the definition of rowgroup before.

>> I'm not sure what the meaning of many features in HTML4 is when used in
>> non-typical ways. The specification is not really useful.
>
> It is not really useful to not want to make sense of it. And also, the
> HTML5 draft does not say that rowgroup cannot be applied to THEAD/TFOOT.
> So what would the improvement be?

The HTML5 algorithm is not yet good enough, but at least it's clear what
it implies.

> The HTML5 draft isn't anymore spesific than HTML4 about which direction
> scope="rowgroup" and scope="colgroup" goes. [...]
>>       If [TH] is in the row group state [...] let (1, groupy) be the
>>       slot at which the row group is anchored, let height be the
>>       number of rows in the row group, and assign the header cell
>>       to any data cells anchored at slots with coordinates (datax,
>>       datay) where headerx ≤ datax ≤ xmax and headery ≤ datay <
>>       groupy+height
>
> I am not sure if have got this part of the algorithm 100% correcty, but
> my understanding is that the phrase «headerx ≤ datax ≤ xmax» tells which
> _direction_ a header in «the row group state» has - namely horisontal
> direction.

You completely read over the bit where it talks about "height" and
"headery" for some reason.

> Why has that change been drafted?

HTML5 is written from scratch. (As in, it's not HTML4 + changes. And as
such it may contain inconsistencies with HTML4 that are either desirable
or not.)

> Inspector. I hope we can make into a tool we can trust.

I'm not sure that's possible for HTML4 given the lack of a proper
specification. It's not entirely clear to me what you mean with "trust"
either. The tool is open source and everyone can simply fork their own
version.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>