Re: Data Table Collections (Research)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:54:43 +0300
Cc: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

On Sep 9, 2007, at 13:43, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Although maybe you could add an additional requirement that a
> header cell for a given cell needs to span the same columns (or
> more) for it to become a header cell for that cell (also, not same
> amount of columns, the same columns). This would also help with the
> Thesis example from Henri.

That's not quite right. You could reasonably have a cell spanning two
columns and both columns having single-column header cells. In that
case, it is quite reasonable to associate the wide cell with both.

I suggest experimenting with a rule that a cell doesn't get
associated with any column headers if the cell spans a column that
has no header. (And analogously for rows.)

Consider:

vs.

For reference, the "Thesis example" Anne is referring to is
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/thesis/html5-conformance-checker#abstract

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi