RE: Request for clarification on HTML 5 publication status (ISSUE-19)

From: <mikko.honkala@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:05:30 +0200
To: <connolly@w3.org>, <public-html@w3.org>

Hello group,

we see benefit to publish a first WD of the HTML5 spec. To avoid any
patent issues we request deletion of the following clause from the spec
before it is published. We support publication under the condition this
change is made.

> "User agents should support Ogg Theora video and Ogg Vorbis audio, as
> well as the Ogg container format." in 3.14.7.1.

We request the W3C to explore the codec situation in its December
workshop, and to work towards a resolution with its membership
thereafter, with subsequent versions of the HTML5 WD updated according
to the result. For a more elaborated story, please read the upcoming
Nokia position paper for the W3C video workshop at:

http://www.w3.org/2007/08/video/papers.html

We believe the canvas element and its JavaScript interface should be
considered in scope of the HTML5 WG. We request the WG to asses and draw
attention to performance issues with JavaScript and graphics operations
on embedded devices.

To be extra clear here: we support publication of HTML5 WD, including
the canvas, audio, and video elements, but not the SHOULD clause for the
baseline codec until proper patent assessment has been made.

Best regards,
    Mikko Honkala, Nokia Corp.