Comments on the HTML 5 Web Dev Guide

From: Justin Thorp <juth@loc.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:07:23 -0500
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

I just went through the current iteration of the "The Web Developer’s
Guide to HTML 5."  I have some comments...

* 1. Introduction *

I think we need to explicitly have sections called "What is HTML 5?"
and "Why HTML 5 is important".  A lot of Web developers are out there
today using what they have.  We need to make a case for why they should
care.  How is HTML 5 going to make their life better?

Something more then...
"The main area that has not been adequately addressed by HTML is a
vague subject referred to as Web Applications. HTML5 attempts to rectify

*1.1.2. Example Markup*

I'm not completely clear to how HTML 5 relates to HTML and XHTML.  So
you can use XHTML-ish coding practices when writing HTML 5?  This needs
to be clarified, otherwise having examples from HTML and XHTML is going
to be terribly confusing.

*4.1.1. The body element*

I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about things like "Content
model" and "DOM interface."  Can you elaborate?

I'm sure i'll have more later...

Justin Thorp

Justin Thorp
US Library of Congress
Web Services - Office of Strategic Initiatives
e - juth@loc.gov
p - 202/707-9541