Re: Proposal for developing HTML 5 materials for Web *authors*

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2007, at 11:31, Dean Edridge wrote:
>> Surely it would be better to have just the one method that works with
>> all serialisations and get everyone to use that.

No.  It is better to teach web developers to be aware of the differences
and offer guidance about how to reduce them where practice.  Simply
pretending that there is only one common way to author HTML and XHTML
doesn't really help authors at all when they inevitably encounter
variations.  Rather, by giving authors an understanding of the issues,
they will be more well equipped to deal with them in practice and make
more informed decisions.

>> Otherwise we end up with web tools (WYSIWYG editors and CMSs etc) that
>> only generate markup suitable for text/html.
>
> But there are other differences between HTML and XHTML...

A more complete list of differences can be found here.

http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/HTML_vs._XHTML

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/