Spec for email addresses with IDNs?

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:21:16 +0200
To: "public-html@w3.org Tracking WG" <public-html@w3.org>

According to http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2368 and http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822
, RFC 2368 (mailto: URI scheme) and RFC 2822 (email addresses among
other things) have neither been obsoleted nor updated.

It seems to me that this leaves email addresses with IDNs and mailto:
as an IRI scheme undefined. Web Form 2.0 allows IDNs in <input
type='email'>. Moreover, I think mailto: as an IRI scheme should be
defined in an IDN-aware such a way that the host part of an email
address would get the Punycode to ASCII treatment instead of the
percent escaping treatment.

Are there upcoming drafts that I'm unaware of that define these things
properly or is everyone just supposed to infer the right updates to
the old specs?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi