Re: Proposal for developing HTML 5 materials for Web *authors*

Ben Boyle wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 8:05 PM, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:
>
>>> I think a document published by the W3C for authors shouldn't subset
>>> what the spec proper defines as the conforming language, but it can
>>> opt to use a single convention for its examples.
>>>
>> I leave this decision to Web designers, Web developers, not
>> implementers. :)
>>

> I very much support this, and I would particularly like to see it
> represent a W3C position on "best practice". By this I mean, it should
> describe HTML5 features in a manner that is consistent with other "web
> standards" (W3C recommendations) like WCAG. I'm less interested in
> aspects that are not backed up by other standards; I'd consider that
> wandering into the territory of personal preference on coding style
> ... difficult to pin down and not terribly useful.
>
> Consistency with other best practice standards is vital though. W3C
> should produce this. Doubtless many others will contribute excellent
> articles on the topic for years to come, but they won't carry the same
> authority. Formal clarification by W3C of any aspect of HTML 5 can
> provide a useful reference point, one that could reduce a number of
> repetitive and pointless debates. I would greatly appreciate it for
> that reason alone.
>
> I agree with Justin: let's get this started!
>
> cheers
> Ben

How do you propose that the W3C deal with the fact that there's about 10
different ways to create a HTML5 document.
And more importantly what about the fact that not everyone in this group
can agree on what is "best practice".
I mean, the group can't even agree on what a XHTML document is, and the
W3C wont clarify this either. This will have to be dealt with sooner or
later.

Cheers,
Dean Edridge