Re: Whitespace before <head>

White-space should not be ignored.

  hello,
world

If whitespace skipped in parsing, then it's not part of the document;
css white-space can't work if the expected white-space is dropped.

pre.style.whiteSpace = "pre";

The same is true for innerHTML -- or innerXML -- I'm not debatingthe
name right now. If

pre.innerHTML = "Gorilla   \n    Snake";

This may seem blatantly obvious to some, but not to microsoft and the
DOM Scripter Task Force.

Maybe they like getting child elements, next sibling elements, and
don't want to worry about text nodes.

maybe,

element.getChildElements()
element.getNextSiblingElement()