Re: [homework] summary of the video (and audio) codec discussion

At 11:18 AM 11/9/2007, Dave Singer wrote:

>But if you follow what I think you're saying, I'm not sure it works.
>At the moment, all the mandate is on the browser and all the choice
>with the author.  The browsers must implement one thing, and the
>authors can choose to use that (if they want broad interop) or
>something else (for whatever reason).  We could think about
>mandating that browsers implement at least one of a list of
>container/codec combos, but then the poor author wanting assured
>playback would have to author in *all* of them.

You are right. To make what I was saying workable would require too
many cartwheels. I had some sort of vague premonition of
cross-formatting video content, upon production, into some sort of
amorphous format-selectable blob (a fun idea -- the AFSB codec). But
absent that, the cartwheels would all have to be performed by the authors.

cheers,
David